584-080-0152 Transitional Superintendent License for First Time Out-of-State Applicants
Summary of Proposed Action: Removes requirement that Superintendents have three years’ experience in Oregon; experience in any state will now meet the requirements.
Background: Requiring experience only from Oregon would not allow the Superintendent to meet the requirements of the transitional licenses 18 month term.
Fiscal Impact: N/A
Copy of Proposed Rule
Transitional Superintendent License for First Time Out-of-State Applicants
(1) Upon filing a correct and complete application in form and manner prescribed by the commission, a qualified applicant who has never been licensed in Oregon as an administrator may be granted a Transitional Superintendent License.
(2) The Transitional Superintendent License is
issued for eighteen months and is not renewable. At that time, the educator
must qualify for
an a Continuing Administrator License. Under
significant extenuating circumstances, additional time may be allowed, as
described below in section ( 5) (7)
of this rule.
(3) The Transitional Superintendent License is valid for:
(a) The position of superintendent when issued to a person who has been a superintendent on regular assignment and license in any state; and
(b) Substitute teaching at any level in any specialty.
(4) To be eligible for a Transitional Superintendent License, the applicant must:
(a) Possess the personal qualifications for licensure including attainment of at least eighteen years of age and possessing good moral character and mental and physical health necessary for employment as an educator;
(b) Hold a master's degree or higher degree in the arts and sciences or an advanced degree in the professions from a regionally accredited institution;
(c) Have been employed as a superintendent for five years or more in any state on a license valid for the assignment before holding an Oregon license;
(d) Hold a valid superintendent's license from that state based upon completion of an approved program; and
(e) Furnish fingerprints in the manner prescribed by the Commission and provide satisfactory responses to the character questions contained in the commission’s licensure application. (See OAR 584-036-0062 for Criminal Records Check Requirement.)
(5) While holding this license, an applicant must complete:
(a) An Oregon school law and finance class; and
(b) Obtain a passing score on a commission-approved test of knowledge of U.S. and Oregon civil rights and professional ethics.
(6) Upon completion of the requirements in
subsection (5) above, in addition to three consecutive years of full-time
experience as a superintendent
in the state of Oregon, the applicant
qualifies for a Continuing Administrator License as defined in OAR 584-080-0022.
(7) If extenuating circumstances prevent the educator from completing these requirements prior to the expiration of the Transitional Superintendent License, an Emergency Administrator License may be issued, at the sole discretion of the Executive Director as provided in ORS 584-080-0171. Evidence of the extenuating circumstances must be presented to the Executive Director, who then determines if and for how long an emergency license should be issued as needed to protect the district’s programs or students.
Stat. Auth.: ORS 342
Stats. Implemented: ORS 342.120 - 342.430, 342.455 - 342.495 & 342.553
Hist.: TPSC 3-2001, f. & cert. ef. 6-21-01; TSPC 5-2001, f. & cert. ef. 12-13-01; TSPC 2-2007, f. & cert. ef. 4-23-07; TSPC 7-2008, f. & cert. ef. 8-20-08;TSPC 8-2009, f. & cert. ef. 12-15-09; TSPC 3-2011, f. & cert. ef. 3-15-11; TSPC 5-2012, f. & cert. ef. 5-18-12